The proof of continuous settlement in Balzers can be found from the early Stone Age (about 3000 B.C.), to the modern day.
Historically, the present-day form of the village consists of two different villages, the actual Balzers in the east and Mäls in the west. Not visible to the unaware, the division still persists in the local village culture, where it manifests in half-serious local competition. Some customs, such as the “Funken” a springtime ritual with pre-Christian origins involving a huge bonfire, are still being practised by each separately. The two parts were first mentioned in 842 as Palazole.
In the northern part of the village archaeologists found the foundations of Roman buildings in 1933 and 1967. The finds included sixty Roman coins (from 46-42 B.C.) that point to the Roman rule of Balzers, highlighting the history of the twin villages of Balzers and Mäls, where the Rätische Mäls is the older of the ‘twins’. While “Meilis”, as Mäls is called in the Rätic language, cannot so far be interpreted etymologically, the name Balzers (Palazoles) can be linked with the Latin “palatium” (Lordship, Pfalz).
Since subjecting the Rätians (15 B.C.) to the “Imperium Romanum” the location as a “village on the Knights road” has shaped the Balzner history, since the road led across the alpine Julier and Spluegen passes along the mountain-slope through the village. Balzers experienced rapid development in the twentieth century – a testament to the continued importance of its location.
The archaeological finds of 1934 at the south foot of the Gutenberg castle hill provided the most southerly discovery of the “Rössener culture.” Early and the late Bronze Age remains have also been found around Gutenberg.
Balzers is the home of the Burg Gutenberg, a 12th-century castle which is located on a rocky hill in the center of the town.
Whilst it only has 4,368 inhabitants, the village has seen a rapid industrialisation. Balzers is the southernmost village in Liechtenstein and is approximately 472 m above sea level with an area of 19.6 square km. With its important and interesting historical past, the village has felt obliged to continue to care for its environment. The village council therefore promises that each inhabitant is ensured a healthy life in a beautiful environment. Source: Wikipedia and About Liechtenstein.
Mürren is a traditional Walser mountain village in Bernese Highlands, Switzerland, at an elevation of 1,638 metres (5,374 ft) above sea level and unreachable by public road. Tourism is popular through the summer and winter; the village features a view of the three towering mountains: Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau. Mürren has a population of just 450, but has 2,000 hotel beds.
Mürren has its own school and two churches, one Reformed and one Roman Catholic. Source: Wikipedia.
This spot provides a glorious view of the Old Town, Grossmünster Church, City Hall, the Limmat river, the university and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
Lindenhof was also the scene of numerous historical events.
In the 4th century a Roman fort stood on Lindenhof – and in the 9th century the grandson of Charlemagne built a regal palace as place of residence on the very same site.
This area continued to be a place for gatherings for Zurich’s inhabitants right up to the beginning of the modern era. For example, the oath sealing the Helvetic Constitution was taken on the Lindenhof in 1798.
Today, Lindenhof is a haven of peace and tranquility in the heart of the city and a meeting point for passionate chess players. Source: Zuerich.com.
While in Lausanne, Switzerland, this summer, I enjoyed the views and photographic opportunities that the Bessières Bridge gave me. It didn’t hurt that the weather was beautiful at the time.
The Bessières Bridge, the furthest upstream of the three bridges on the Flon Valley, was built from 1908 to 1910 and connects the City hill, the cantonal administrative centre, to Rue Caroline and the city’s eastern neighbourhoods. The construction of a bridge in this area had been discussed for decades.
In 1839, the initial plan was for a suspension bridge. The banker and jeweller Charles Bessières donated 500,000 francs in 1901, and his brother Victor donated 50,000 francs in 1908 so that the work could finally begin.
In 1899, a contest awarded the work to the architect Eugène Jost. His plan featured neo-medieval turrets similar to the Cathedral at the entrances to the bridge, but it was then determined that they would be too costly. The bridge was finally adorned with 11-metre high obelisks and given a Louis 16th style to match the old neoclassical hospital nearby.
The deck has a metal arch with an 80-metre opening that leads to two stone arches. Its total length is 120 metres. As of 2008, the Bessières Bridge is home to an m2 metro station. Source: lausanne.ch
The Schilthorn (2,970 metres (9,744 ft)) is a summit in Europe, in the Bernese Alps of Switzerland. It overlooks the valley of Lauterbrunnen in the Bernese Oberland, and is the highest mountain in the range lying north of the Sefinenfurgge Pass. The Schilthorn lies above the village of Mürren, from where a cable car leads to its summit. Source: Wikipedia.